Re: restoring from dump

От Jeff Frost
Тема Re: restoring from dump
Дата
Список pgsql-admin
On Fri, 22 Aug 2008, Tena Sakai wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I am in a fix...
>
> I have executed the following command being a user postgres:
> zcat /var/postgres/backup/20080812.2.gz | psql postgres > restore.out 2 > restore.err
>
> It asked me a password, which I complied.  It worked silently
> for a couple of hours and told me:
>  Segmentation fault
>
> As I look at the stdout and stderr redirected files, restore.out
> has a bunch of lines like:
>  You are now connected to database "postgres".
>  SET
>  SET
>  SET
>  ALTER ROLE
>  ALTER ROLE
>    .
>    .
>  GRANT ROLE
>  GRANT ROLE
>    .
>    .
>  You are now connected to database "canon".
>  SET
>  SET
>    .
>    .
>  ALTER SCHEMA
>  ALTER SCHEMA
>    .
>    .
>  ALTER SEQUENCE
>   setval
>  ---------
>   4398404
>  (1 row)
>
>  ALTER TABLE
>  ALTER SEQUENCE
>   setval
>  --------
>     1379
>  (1 row)
>    .
>    .
>  ALTER TABLE
>  ALTER TABLE
>  SET
>
> where two dots mean ommision by me.  The stderr output
> is way too large (6,899,669 lines), but here's a glimpse of it:
>
> cat restore.err | awk '{print $1}' | sort | uniq
>  ^
>  CONTEXT:
>  ERROR:
>  invalid
>  LINE
>  NOTICE:
>
> I am willing to get rid of the database as exists now
> and do "createdb" and run zcat + psql.
>
> Does anybody have a better idea/suggestions?

Tena,

Do the databases you are trying to restore already exist?  If so, restoring
from a dumpall file won't work out very well for you.  What exactly are you
trying to restore?  Perhaps you only want to restore a few tables?  If you
want to restore all the databases that were in this postgresql installation at
the time of the backup, then the best thing to do is drop all those DBs before
attempting the restore.  If you just want to get a few tables out of the
dumpall file, then you'll need to uncompress it and open it in an editor to
pull out the COPY statements you need, then feed those through psql.

I think we need more info about what you're trying to accomplish though.

--
Jeff Frost, Owner     <jeff@frostconsultingllc.com>
Frost Consulting, LLC     http://www.frostconsultingllc.com/