Re: How to allocate 8 disks

От Matthew
Тема Re: How to allocate 8 disks
Дата
Re: How to allocate 8 disks
Список pgsql-performance
On Sat, 1 Mar 2008, Craig James wrote:
> Right, I do understand that, but reliability is not a top priority in this
> system.  The database will be replicated, and can be reproduced from the raw
> data.

So what you're saying is:

1. Reliability is not important.
2. There's zero write traffic once the database is set up.

If this is true, then RAID-0 is the way to go. I think Greg's options are
good. Either:

2 discs RAID 1: OS
6 discs RAID 0: database + WAL

which is what we're using here (except with more discs), or:

8 discs RAID 10: everything

However, if reliability *really* isn't an issue, and you can accept
reinstalling the system if you lose a disc, then there's a third option:

8 discs RAID 0: Everything

Matthew

--
Heat is work, and work's a curse. All the heat in the universe, it's
going to cool down, because it can't increase, then there'll be no