Re: Hardware upgraded but performance still ain't good

От David Lang
Тема Re: Hardware upgraded but performance still ain't good
Дата
Список pgsql-performance
On Tue, 8 Aug 2006, Stephen Frost wrote:

> * Alex Turner (armtuk@gmail.com) wrote:
>> First off - very few third party tools support debian.  Debian is a sure
>> fire way to have an unsupported system.  Use RedHat or SuSe (flame me all
>> you want, it doesn't make it less true).
>
> Yeah, actually, it does make it less true since, well, it's really not
> all that true to begin with.
>
> What you're probably intending to say is that fewer companies say "Works
> with Debian!" on their advertising material or list it as "officially
> supported".  I've had *very* few problems running commercial apps on
> Debian (including things like Oracle and IBM SAN management software).
> Generally it's just take the rpms and either install them *using* rpm
> (which is available in Debian...) or use alien to convert them to a
> tarball and/or deb.

there's a huge difference between 'works on debian' and 'supported on
debian'. I do use debian extensivly, (along with slackware on my personal
machines), so i am comfortable getting things to work. but 'supported'
means that when you run into a problem you can call for help without being
told 'sorry, switch distros, then call us back'.

even many of the companies that offer support for postgres have this
problem. the explination is always that they can't test every distro out
there so they pick a few and support those (this is one of the reasons why
I am watching ubuntu with great interest, it's debian under the covers,
but they're starting to get the recognition from the support groups of
companies)

David Lang

Сообщение: Re: Postgresql Performance on an HP DL385 and
Сообщение: Re: Postgresql Performance on an HP DL385 and