Re: evil characters #bfef cause dump failure

От Christian Fowler
Тема Re: evil characters #bfef cause dump failure
Дата
Список pgsql-admin
I strongly agree with this. I have always been uncomfortable selecting
"UNICODE" and never quite sure if it is the UTF8, UTF16, or UTF32
encoding.

SQL_8BIT or SQL_RAW make much more sense than SQL_ASCII given that Tom
said this is a lack of encoding. I fear I might have high-bits chopped off
or something.

However, back to my problem... if a #bfef character is shoved into a
VARCHAR, one's dump is hosed. If I went to various websites and entered
this in, I could cause a lot of pain. I believe I noticed some characters
(like new line and tab) are converted to <80> or similar. Could/should
this be extended to more character ranges - particularly high byte chars
for people with the SQL_ASCII (lackof) encoding?

On Tue, 16 Nov 2004, Markus Bertheau wrote:

> This is, by the way, a reason why this encoding should be renamed to
> SQL_8BIT (or something along these lines) and UNICODE to UTF-8.
>
> --
> Markus Bertheau <twanger@bluetwanger.de>

> TIP 8: explain analyze is your friend

[ \ /
[ >X<   Christian Fowler      | spider AT viovio.com
[ / \   http://www.viovio.com | http://www.tikipro.org