Re: Configuring PostgreSQL to minimize impact of checkpoints

От scott.marlowe
Тема Re: Configuring PostgreSQL to minimize impact of checkpoints
Дата
Re: Configuring PostgreSQL to minimize impact of checkpoints
Список pgsql-performance
On Tue, 11 May 2004, Paul Tuckfield wrote:

> If you are having a "write storm" or bursty writes that's burying
> performance, a scsi raid controler with writeback cache will greatly
> improve the situation, but I do believe they run around $1-2k.   If
> it's write specific problem, the cache matters more than the striping,
> except to say that write specfic perf problems should avoid raid5

Actually, a single channel MegaRAID 320-1 (single channel ultra 320) is
only $421 at http://www.siliconmechanics.com/c248/u320-scsi.php  It works
pretty well for me, having 6 months of a production server on one with
zero hickups and very good performance.  They have a dual channel intel
card for only $503, but I'm not at all familiar with that card.

The top of the line megaraid is the 320-4, which is only $1240, which
ain't bad for a four channel RAID controller.

Battery backed cache is an addon, but I think it's only about $80 or so.