Re: Wierd context-switching issue on Xeon

От scott.marlowe
Тема Re: Wierd context-switching issue on Xeon
Дата
Список pgsql-performance
On Mon, 19 Apr 2004, Bruce Momjian wrote:

> Josh Berkus wrote:
> > Tom,
> >
> > > So in the short term I think we have to tell people that Xeon MP is not
> > > the most desirable SMP platform to run Postgres on.  (Josh thinks that
> > > the specific motherboard chipset being used in these machines might
> > > share some of the blame too.  I don't have any evidence for or against
> > > that idea, but it's certainly possible.)
> >
> > I have 3 reasons for thinking this:
> > 1) the ServerWorks chipset is present in the fully documented cases that we
> > have of this problem so far.   This is notable becuase the SW is notorious
> > for poor manufacturing quality, so much so that the company that made them is
> > currently in receivership.   These chips were so bad that Dell was forced to
> > recall several hundred of it's 2650's, where the motherboards caught fire!
> > 2) the main defect of the SW is the NorthBridge, which could conceivably
> > adversely affect traffic between RAM and the processor cache.
> > 3) XeonMP is a very popular platform thanks to Dell, and we are not seeing
> > more problem reports than we are.
> >
> > The other thing I'd like your comment on, Tom, is that Dirk appears to have
> > reported that when he installed a non-bigmem kernel, the issue went away.
>
> I have BSD on a SuperMicro dual Xeon, so if folks want another
> hardware/OS combination to test, I can give out logins to my machine.

I can probably do some nighttime testing on a dual 2800MHz non-MP Xeon
machine as well.  It's a Dell 2600 series machine and very fast.  It has
the moderately fast 533MHz FSB so may not have as many problems as the MP
type CPUs seem to be having.

Сообщение: Re: Wierd context-switching issue on Xeon
Сообщение: Re: Wierd context-switching issue on Xeon