Re: Patch to readd documentation

От Kris Jurka
Тема Re: Patch to readd documentation
Дата
Список pgsql-jdbc

On Sat, 24 Jan 2004, Peter Eisentraut wrote:

> Kris Jurka wrote:
> > I looked around to see how other projects handle this type of thing
> > and it seemed like a number of them packaged the xsl stylesheets as
> > part of the package.
>
> We would be on the wrong side of that inclusion: the JDBC driver is 1.2
> MB, the XSL stylesheets are 12 MB.

I'm not suggesting trying to manage the stylesheets like any other piece
of source code.  We would put the compressed archive in the repository
that would be expanded on demand.  Further if size is an issue we could
trim the stylesheets to only those that we needed to build the
documentation.  The size is also why I suggested creating a new cvs
module, so it wouldn't clutter the main source.

> I am firmly opposed to any sort of inclusion of other packages in the
> name of convenience.  People who are not able or willing to install
> software should use the prebuilt packages.  And it's not like
> installing Saxon or XSL stylesheets is a great challenge.  They should
> be included in recent versions of free operating systems.

Installing the software is only half of the problem.  There is no
configure to go out and locate the required files.  Your build
instructions require modifying both the classpath and the ant command
line which I personally found a pain.  Finally as a java project we are
not dealing with just "recent versions of free operating systems."  You
had suggested adding a way to pull the stylesheets on demand over http.
Why not make this part of the documentation distribution?

Kris Jurka

Сообщение: Re: Patch to readd documentation
Сообщение: Re: Patch to readd documentation