Re: embedded postgresql

От scott.marlowe
Тема Re: embedded postgresql
Дата
Список pgsql-general
On Thu, 13 Nov 2003, jini us wrote:

> if libpq.dll contains the server and I can call the functions
> to start and stop programmatically.
> Then I could use Postgres as an embedded  database sever in my application.
> That way I include libpq.dll in my software package for deployment
> with installshield.
>
> So when the user starts my application I would start the database server, then stop it programmatically when the user
stopsusing the application.
> I would obviously need some functionality so that I can programmatically
> configure which disk I would use to create the database.
>
> I am hoping to be able to create the database on a virtual drive / network drive programmatically from my
application.
> That is to say when you are running windows your local disk drives are usually C: or D:
> However you may also  have virtual network drives  mapped like X: Y: Z:.
> These drives are obviously connected physically on another machine
> but you are acessing it via the network card/cable etc.

No, the libpq.dll is just the connection library.  You need to have an
actual database up and running to connect to to use it.

How much memory do you have?  Are you on nvram, which has limited write
lifetime?  Postgresql loves to write to the storage medium, and will
likely wear out a memory stick before too long.  How much transaction
capability etc. do you need in an embedded app?  Postgresql is so heavily
optimized for transactions and parallel access safeness that you'll be
paying a huge performance and memory usage penalty.

Using Postgresql as an "embedded" database is stuffing a rather large load
into a rather small sack usually.