Re: [GENERAL] interesting PHP/MySQL thread

От scott.marlowe
Тема Re: [GENERAL] interesting PHP/MySQL thread
Дата
Список pgsql-advocacy
On 23 Jun 2003, Sterling Hughes wrote:

> > > Uhmm.  MySQL AB are not "playing" the PHP community. I happen to know
> > > the folks doing the licensing quite well, and while I don't particularly
> > > like how its been handled, I'm certain there was/is no intent to play
> > > PHP.
> >
> > The primary reason for changing the 4.x connect lib to GPL was to
> > encourage people to buy commercial software licenses.
> >
> > In my opinion, this is playing the GPL community.  PHP happens to be part
> > of the community they are playing.
> >
> > What other reason can there be for switching their licensing of their
> > connect libs while also making sure that 4.x won't talk to an app using
> > the LGPL'd 3.x connection library?
>
> Well, sure they're playing the GPL community.  But I don't really care
> about that. I personally wish the GPL was burned on every corner; I
> prefer the "Free as in Free" approach.
>
> PHP is not a part of the GPL community.  We aren't even GPL compatible.
> In fact, you'll find most PHP core devs have a strong disliking for the
> GPL, and its "Free as in join the church and get a meal" approach.

But never forget that MySQL road the coattails of PHP to popularity.

For some reason your church meal statment made me think of Bender getting
free booze in Futurama... :-)

Сообщение: Re: [GENERAL] interesting PHP/MySQL thread
Сообщение: Re: [GENERAL] interesting PHP/MySQL thread