Re: Data write speed

От scott.marlowe
Тема Re: Data write speed
Дата
Список pgsql-performance
On Thu, 27 Feb 2003, Josh Berkus wrote:

> Murthy,
>
> > You could get mondo (http://www.microwerks.net/~hugo/), then backup your
> > system to CDs and restore it with the new filesystem layout. You might want
> > to do these backups as a matter of course?
>
> Thanks for the suggestion.   The problem isn't backup media ... we have a DLT
> drive ... the problem is time.   This particular application is already about
> 4 weeks behind schedule because of various hardware problems.  At some point,
> Kevin Brown and I will take a weekend to swap the postgres files to a spare
> disk, and re-format the data array as pass-through Linux RAID.
>
> And this is the last time I leave it up to the company sysadmin to buy
> hardware for a database server, even with explicit instructions ... "Yes, I
> saw which one you wanted, but the 2200S was on sale!"

I still remember going round and round with a hardware engineer who was
extolling the adaptec AIC 133 controller as a great raid controller.  I
finally made him test it instead of just reading the pamphlet that came
with it...  Needless to say, it couldn't hold it's own against a straight
symbios UW card running linux software RAID.

He's the same guy who speced my workstation with no AGP slot in it.  The
week before he was laid off.  Talk about bad timing... :-(