Re: State of Beta 2

От Nigel J. Andrews
Тема Re: State of Beta 2
Дата
Список pgsql-general
On Fri, 12 Sep 2003, Ron Johnson wrote:

> On Fri, 2003-09-12 at 10:50, Andrew Rawnsley wrote:
> > Small soapbox moment here...
> >
> > ANYTHING that can be done to eliminate having to do an initdb on
> > version changes would make a lot of people do cartwheels. 'Do a
> > dump/reload' sometimes comes across a bit casually on the lists (my
> > apologies if it isn't meant to be), but it can be be incredibly onerous
> > to do on a large production system. That's probably why you run across
> > people running stupid-old versions.
>
> And this will become even more of an issue as it's PG's popularity
> grows with large and 24x7 databases.

And dump/reload isn't always such a casual operation to do. I initialise a
database from dump but I have to fiddle the sql on the reload to make it work.
The odd thing is I never thought it a bug, just something to work around, until
someone else has been persuing it on the list as one (it's the create schema
thing).

--
Nigel J. Andrews