Re: what is this?

От Ryan Kirkpatrick
Тема Re: what is this?
Дата
Список pgsql-admin
On Thu, 1 Jun 2000, [iso-8859-1] Ragnar Kj�rstad wrote:

> On Tue, Jul 08, 2036 at 07:36:11AM +0000, LeSI wrote:
> > Jun  1 00:59:06 upa kernel: postmaster(11156): unaligned trap at
> > 000000012013e320: 000000011fff9d05 28 1
> >
> > how can i fix it?
>
> I'm on thin ice here, but I'm giving it a try:
> (I'm counting on others correcting me if I'm directly wrong :)
>
> I think the error is caused by some data-structure with 64bit variables
> are not aligned by 64bit boundaries.

    That is correct. :)

    Easier said then done. :(

> The good news is that the kernel automagicly avoids the problem, so it
> will not have any ill effects - if it bothers you, you can configure the
> kernel to stop sending warnings.

    Correct, the only damage is some impact on performance. I
personally have not noticed too much impact on performance, and even after
heavy use of postgresql I only get a small handful (5-10). I plan to run
them down eventually, but getting the Linux/Alpha patches into the main
tree is a bit higher priority at the moment. TTYL.

|   "For to me to live is Christ, and to die is gain."                    |
|                                            --- Philippians 1:21 (KJV)   |
|   Ryan Kirkpatrick  |  Boulder, Colorado  |  http://www.rkirkpat.net/   |