Re: [SQL] install problem

От Eric J McKeown
Тема Re: [SQL] install problem
Дата
Список pgsql-docs
On Mon, 15 Mar 1999, Tom Lane wrote:

> Date: Mon, 15 Mar 1999 10:09:08 -0500
> From: Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us>
> To: Eric J McKeown <ericm@palaver.net>
> Cc: pgsql-sql@hub.org, pgsql-docs@hub.org
> Subject: Re: [SQL] install problem
>
> Eric J McKeown <ericm@palaver.net> writes:
> > when I attempt to run initdb, I get this message every time:
> > Only the unix superuser may initialize a database with a different
> > Postgres superuser.  (You must be able to create files that belong
> > to the specified unix user).
>
> Eric, check the setting of your USER environment variable.  It must be
> set and set correctly, because that's what initdb looks at (ditto for
> the Postgres regression tests, BTW, and perhaps other stuff).  At least
> on my system, USER is not updated by "su", for example.

I figured this one out yesterday, but failed to post that to the group.
When I ran initdb --help, I got a full list of options to initdb, and
specifying postgres as the user with the -u option (I think that was the
one) did the trick.

> > I've checked the FAQ, but it doesn't seem to cover this one.
>
> This oughta be mentioned in the documentation somewhere :-(

I'd be happy to write a little something up for the FAQ if need be.

Thx.

>             regards, tom lane

Eric McKeown, Web Developer
ericm@palaver.net | (219) 253-8131