Re: [PHP3] pgsql + php3 expert needed. Can you solve this problem?

От Jouni Ahto
Тема Re: [PHP3] pgsql + php3 expert needed. Can you solve this problem?
Дата
Список pgsql-admin

On Sun, 27 Dec 1998, Robert Chalmers wrote:

> Taking it one step further: How many people are running
> Apache-1.3.3+php3_pgsql-6.4+BIND-8, the latest version of each, of the thousands
> that you mention?

I do.

> And if it's not caused by incompatibilities with Bind-8, and the DNS is working fine
> - the system is live 24 hours a day - what is the cause?

Like everyone else on this list, I'd too say it's the way you have set up
dns. Is there a line in /etc/resolv.conf saying 'search chalmers.com.au'?
And what does simply trying 'telnet nanguo' say?

But, now to the solutions:

a) If both Apache and PostgreSQL are running on the same machine, just
   *don't* specify any hostname, not even 'localhost'. The connection will
   be made via a UNIX-domain socket in that case. No hassle with dns and
   you get slightly better performance, too.
b) Use the FQDN, ie 'host=nanguo.chalmers.com.au'.
c) Use the IP-number of the host, ie. 'host=203.1.96.5'.

And when you upgraded from 6.1 to 6.4, remember that postmaster doesn't
listen on a TCP-socket anymore unless you start it with '-i'.

Jouni Ahto