Postmaster crashes with "ServerLoop: select failed message"

От Paul Breen
Тема Postmaster crashes with "ServerLoop: select failed message"
Дата
Список pgsql-interfaces
Hello all,

We've recently completed a Postgres based project.  The application uses 2
Linux server's, both running Postgres, to allow database replication.
From our application we write to both databases within a transaction and
if either update fails we rollback.  We use the C API (libpq), the PHP API
and also some Tcl/Tk stuff (pgtksh).

The problem is that the Postmaster has crashed twice now and both times
the last message in the Postmaster's log was:

    /usr/local/pgsql/bin/postmaster: ServerLoop: select failed: No child
    processes

We also seem to get a large number of the following message in our
Postmaster's log:

    pq_recvbuf: unexpected EOF on client connection

Are these connected?  What do the messages mean? This is what we are
using:

System: Linux FGD 2.2.13 #1 Thu Dec 16 13:55:58 GMT 1999 i586 unknown
Database Server: PostgreSQL 6.5.3 on i586-pc-linux-gnu,
compiled by gcc egcs-2.91.66
Web Server: Apache/1.3.9 (Unix) (SuSE/Linux) PHP/3.0.12
PHP: 3.0.12
Tcl/Tk: 8.2

Any help with this problem would be greatly appreciated.  Originally the
application was well received but these crashes have dented user's belief
in it!  More information can be supplied if necessary.

Thanks in advance.

Paul M. Breen, Software Engineer - Computer Park Ltd.

Tel:   (01536) 417155
Email: pbreen@computerpark.co.uk