Re: Re: Future plans for raw devices ?

От Karel Zak
Тема Re: Re: Future plans for raw devices ?
Дата
Список pgsql-admin
On Fri, 2 Jun 2000, Bruce Momjian wrote:

> > > [ Charset ISO-8859-1 unsupported, converting... ]

> > > Yes, by creating symbolic links for the files in data/base/dbname.

> > > Yes, if it gets over 1GB, it is split and a new file created.  Symbolic
> > > links allow them to be moved.
> > >

> > Yeah ! Strong magic! BTW: are there any plans to have the database files on raw
> > devices in the future?
> >

> Most think that raw devices are a pain and offer little performance
> improvement and lots of portability and coding problems.

 I don't know how much it is a performance improvement (someone say 10-20%),
but Bruce is probably right, it is a huge work and with dependence on
hardware & system implementation.

 We already discussed about it --- it is hacker's archive.

 IMHO now is not in PG background for features like I/O raw or on-line
replication. It needs better storage layout and tablespace feature.

                        Karel