Re: [ADMIN] my postgres.init file

От Terry Mackintosh
Тема Re: [ADMIN] my postgres.init file
Дата
Список pgsql-admin
Hi

On Sat, 9 Jan 1999, Vance Greenway wrote:

> hmmm, that raised another error:
>
> Starting postgres:  stdin:  is not a tty

How are you trying to run it???
The file should reside in /etc/rc.d/init/ and be called like this:
/etc/rc.d/init/postgres.init start
or
/etc/rc.d/init/postgres.init stop

> any ideas on that one?

Not really.  Would kinda need to see what your doing/not doing.

> what is a tty anyway?

tty is a term left over from the early days of computers, it stands for
tellitype (I probable spelled it wrong).  Today it has come to mean the
controling termial, that is, your keyboard and monitor.

So, when you login your on one tty, do Alt-F2, now your on the 2nd tty,
and probably have a new login prompt. (Ctrl-Alt-F2 if your in X windows.)
Your box probably has tty's setup on F1 through F6, X goes on F7 usually.

> sure appreciate your help.

No problem.