Re: preventing deadlocks

От Tsirkin Evgeny
Тема Re: preventing deadlocks
Дата
Список pgsql-admin

Evgeny.

On Tue, 3 Jan 2006, Jim C. Nasby wrote:

> On Mon, Jan 02, 2006 at 11:36:11AM +0200, Tsirkin Evgeny wrote:
> > Thanks for answer.However i have already searched for a way to make count
> > faster and didn't find anything.
> > Any pointers will be appreciated.
>
> What you want to do in the trigger isinsert a new row into a table that
> contains the change in count, instead of trying to update a single row
> for each value/ident (btw, you'll probably get better performance if you
> make ident an int instead of a numeric).

Why?

> So now you'll have a list of
> changes to the value, which you will periodically want to roll up into a
> table that just stores the count.
Interesting idea.Thanks.However it pretty complicates things ,maybe there
will be simpler solution.Something i did not thought about at all - i think that
counting is something that everybody does.
[1] I have also a hope that i can create a trigger that locks counter
table once a 'select for update' was done on one of the tables i count.
However how can i say if a select that fires a trigger is a 'for update'
one?
[2] Maybe there is a MVCC or something solution like Bruno suggested (that
i did not realy understood thought).
Evgeny.

От: "Gregory S. Williamson"
Сообщение: Re: full data disk -- any chance of recovery
От: Tsirkin Evgeny
Сообщение: postmaster hangs