Re: Please help me

От Oleg Bartunov
Тема Re: Please help me
Дата
Список pgsql-admin
Do you plan to use http for your service ?
If so, I'd recommend to use following architecture:

FE - proxy server is serving incoming requests and provides
results to client. It could be very light http server with proxy support.
BE - cgi-backend which receive proxied requests, contact with database
and returning results to proxy
DB - database which usually located at separate machine.

A reason for this architecture is optimizing of resources. We have
implemented this scheme in many projects and it's really works,
see for example fts.postgresql.org.

Also, I'd recommend to setup separate http server for serving
static images like logos, icons etc. We use thttpd (http://www.acme.com)
which is very fast and lightweight.

You'd keep persistent connection BE-DB to save connection time which
is rather big for postgresql.

Using calculator, know memory required for each component
(FE,BE,DB), average time for request you could get some numbers for
your hardware. There are many hints, so if you are from perl world,
I'd recommend to read excellent mod_perl guide by Stas Beckman
http://perl.apache.org/guide
You should run several experiments to optimize your servers and get
real numbers for memory footprints. For example it's very important
to provide enough memory for database backend (shared memory, sort buffers),
so your queries would processed faster.

    Regards,

        Oleg

On Thu, 19 Jul 2001, Mihai Afteni wrote:

> I have to provide a hardware-software configuration based on a PG
> database,
> capable to support min 500 simultaneous users each one accesing pages
> that
> send an average 6 queries per page. Minimum display time of any page = 5
> second.
>
> I have no precise idea about how such a configuration will be. An
> estimate based on intuition: a dual (extensible to quad) processor Intel
> computer with 1GB RAM and a min 30GB HDD 7200rpm. But intuition is not
> an argument
>
> Thank you in advance and all the best,
>
> Mike

> Mihai AFTENI                        E-mail: mafteni @ bizein.com
> general manager, partner            mobile: Int + 40 93 23 77 10
> EXPRESS INTEGRATOR SRL                    Developer and owner of
> http://www.bizein.com             Smart B2B Portal where you can
>                         BUY, SELL, INVENT, ADVERTIZE, BID, OFFER
>                              DESIGN, PROJECT, INVEST, LEARN, etc.
> Bucharest, ROMANIA                 Tel/fax: Int + 40 1 420 58 54

> http://www.postgresql.org/search.mpl

    Regards,
        Oleg
phone: +007(095)939-16-83, +007(095)939-23-83