Re: [DOCS] Re: [HACKERS] Outline for PostgreSQL book

От Peter Eisentraut
Тема Re: [DOCS] Re: [HACKERS] Outline for PostgreSQL book
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
On Wed, 13 Oct 1999, Bruce Momjian wrote:

> Not sure how to merge current documentation into it.  I would like to
> point them to URL locations as much as possible.  I thought if I give
> them enough to get started, and to understand how the current docs fit
> together, that would be good.

Personally, I always think that computer books that point you to URLs to
get the complete information are less than desirable. The very point of
reading the book is that you don't have to get up to your computer all the
time. Books should be self-contained and add to the existing documentation
since otherwise I won't need it.

Also, think about the fact that the online documentation might change more
quickly than a book is published. In a magazine you can do that, but in a
book that's questionable. I have a few books that are only about two years
old and the information in them is still very valid, but the URLs with all
the examples and all don't work anymore. Who knows why, I don't have the
time to find out.

But the publishers are probably a lot smarter in that area than I am.

    -Peter