Re: Proposal: syntax of operation with tsearch's configuration

От Jeremy Drake
Тема Re: Proposal: syntax of operation with tsearch's configuration
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
On Fri, 17 Nov 2006, Tom Lane wrote:

> > I don't see any comparable arguments about this full-text search stuff.
> > In particular I don't see any arguments why a change would necessary at
> > all, including why moving to core would be necessary in the first
> > place.
>
> AFAIR the only argument in favor of that is basically a marketing one:
> users perceive a feature as more real, or more supported, if it's in
> core.  I don't find this argument especially compelling myself.

I am currently in the position that my hosting provider is apprehensive
about installing modules in contrib because they believe they are less
secure.  They cited (real or imagined) "security holes" as the reason they
would not install tsearch2, or any other contrib module.  This leaves me
without any fulltext indexing option, as it requires a superuser to
install.  I have currently worked around this by running my own postgres
instance from my home directory, as they provide shell access and allow
running background processes, but I was really happy when I heard that
tsearch2 was going to be integrated into core in 8.3.

I think I would settle for some sort of assurance somewhere by someone who
sounds authoritative that the contrib modules are not less secure than
postgres core, and are fully supported by the developers.  I think if  I
could point them at that, I may be able to convince them that it is safe.