Re: [GENERAL] JDBC +CIDR (fwd)

От Kris Jurka
Тема Re: [GENERAL] JDBC +CIDR (fwd)
Дата
Список pgsql-jdbc

On Fri, 22 Oct 2004, Oliver Jowett wrote:

> Kris Jurka wrote:
> > What kind of solution can we offer for this problem?  Do we really need to
> > make PGobject extensions for every type?  Do we really want to force
> > people to have to create these for all user defined types?
>
> Well, you don't have to create a subclass, I think, if you don't mind
> doing the parsing in the application:

Right, for some reason I thought PGobject was abstract.  It's still not
great to force them to include postgresql specific code in their app, but
I don't see a way around it without abandoning the goal of removing the
use oid zero.

> Alternatively, does setString() + "?::cidr" work?

In this case yes, but not in general.  The driver types it as text so this
really comes out as ?::text::cidr which is different from unknown -> cidr.
In this case an explicit cast is available, but this won't be true (by
default) of other types.  Consider:

jurka=# select '(1,2),(3,4)'::text::box;
ERROR:  cannot cast type text to box

Kris Jurka