Re: distance calculation usng lat and long in miles

От brew@theMode.com
Тема Re: distance calculation usng lat and long in miles
Дата
Список pgsql-general

> I am calculating the distance as below
>
> select distance(geom1, geom2)* 69.055
>

> It seems to be right. But I want to make sure.

One way to calculate is the Great Circle Distance, that's the way the FCC
(Federal Communications Commission) uses to calculate distance between two
Radio Stations, using the lat and long for each.

Read about it at:

http://www.fcc.gov/mb/audio/bickel/distance.html

And better still, check your calculations against their online calculator
on the page for 'Distance and Azimuths Between 2 Sets of Coordinates'.

I accounts for the curve of the earth, too.  It may be more accurate than
you need, but it will be interesting to compare against, at any rate.

brew

                  Strange Brew   (brew@theMode.com)
  Check out my Stock Option Covered Call website  http://www.callpix.com
     and my Musician's Online Database Exchange http://www.TheMode.com

Сообщение: distance calculation usng lat and long in miles