Re: Sun performance - Major discovery!

От Jeff
Тема Re: Sun performance - Major discovery!
Дата
Re: Sun performance - Major discovery!  (pgsql-performance@sysd.com)
Список pgsql-performance
On Wed, 8 Oct 2003, Neil Conway wrote:

> What CFLAGS does configure pick for gcc? From
> src/backend/template/solaris, I'd guess it's not enabling any
> optimization. Is that the case? If so, some gcc numbers with -O and -O2
> would be useful.

I can't believe I didn't think of this before! heh.
Turns out gcc was getting nothing for flags.

I added -O2 to CFLAGS and my 60 seconds went down to 21.  A rather mild
improvment huh?

I did a few more tests and suncc still beats it out - but not by too much
now (Not enought to justify buying a license just for compiling pg)

I'll go run the regression test suite with my gcc -O2 pg and the suncc pg.
See if they pass the test.

If they do we should consider adding -O2 and -fast to the CFLAGS.

--
Jeff Trout <jeff@jefftrout.com>
http://www.jefftrout.com/