Re: Cannot vacuum! Stops on first table, pg_type

От The Hermit Hacker
Тема Re: Cannot vacuum! Stops on first table, pg_type
Дата
Список pgsql-admin
check out the REINDEX command:

    http://www.postgresql.org/docs/user/sql-reindex.htm

that may/may not help ...

On 29 Aug 2000, Palle Girgensohn wrote:

> Hi!
>
> This is really strange. Starting from the beginning, I was running
> postmaster with logs redirected to a file (on a different
> filesystem). This has been going OK for quite some time. Suddenly, it
> filled up quickly, and I had to rm it and restart the server this
> friday. Today, it happened again; the log file area was filled up
> completely by postgres' 700 Mbyte log file. I threw it away
> immediately, so unfortunately I don't have these logs handy (I think I
> can find some on tape, though...umm...). Have set up this machine to use
> rotatelogs(8) (from apache) now, like on most of my newer machines :)
>
> Also, when this happened, two postgres processes went amok filling up
> the data directory with pg_temp.$$* files. About 25000 files (more or
> less empty, if memory serves me) before I realized this had happened
> (maybe a minute or two...?) Ran out of file descriptors, it was really
> hot for a while :)
>
> I shut down postmaster and removed them, since nothing worked anymore
> while they were there (I guess postgres couldn't create more tempfiles
> in that dir :)
>
> Now, $PGDATA/pg_log is about 480 Meg. Hardly normal, heh?
>
> # ls -l /usr/local/pgsql/data/pg_log
> -rw-------  1 pgsql  pgsql  471556096 Aug 29 02:09 /usr/local/pgsql/data/pg_log
>
> But:
>
> # df -k
> Filesystem              1K-blocks     Used    Avail Capacity  Mounted on
> /dev/da0s1h               1986495   120813  1706763     7%    /usr/local/pgsql/data
>
> Used 120 MB, but the file is 480 MB? One of those files with "holes"
> in them, I presume?
>
> Anyway, please note that the PGDATA file system was never filled up,
> only the log FS.
>
> Long story, sorry, but I thought it be best if no details were left
> out...
>
> The problem now: After the last incident, I cannot vacuum one database
> (the big one)... other DBs are all right, but that doesn't help
> me... :-/
>
> vacuum stops on the very first table to vacuum, pg_type:
>
> StartTransactionCommand
> query: vacuum;
> ProcessUtility: vacuum pg_type;
> DEBUG:  --Relation pg_type--
> DEBUG:  Pages 6: Changed 0, Reapped 2, Empty 0, New 0; Tup 354: Vac 22, Keep/VTL 0/0, Crash 0, UnUsed 0, MinLen 105,
MaxLen109; Re-using: Free/Avail. Space 8160/176; EndEmpty/Avail. Pages 0/1. Elapsed 0/0 sec.

Systems Administrator @ hub.org

От: Palle Girgensohn
Сообщение: Cannot vacuum! Stops on first table, pg_type
От: Palle Girgensohn
Сообщение: Re: Cannot vacuum! Stops on first table, pg_type