bytea and ISO-8859-1 encoding

От Uwe Kubosch
Тема bytea and ISO-8859-1 encoding
Дата
Список pgsql-jdbc
Hi all!

A year ago I tried using postgresql for storing binary data, images, in a
bytea column.  I then got an error when trying to retrieve the binary data
with JDBC.  The length of the returned byte array was too long, and it was
transformed, possibly a charset encoding.

After some digging last year it seemed that the problem only occured for
databases with ISO-8859-1 encoding.

The original thread is at

http://archives.postgresql.org/pgsql-jdbc/2003-03/msg00008.php

Do you know if this error has been fixed?  I seem to be getting the exact
same error on psql 7.4.  I could find a reference at

http://developer.postgresql.org/todo.php

stating

"Prevent mismatch of frontend/backend encodings from converting bytea data
from being interpreted as encoded strings".

Can anyone confirm that the problem is known and is scheduled to be fixed?

donV