Re: Low Performance for big hospital server ..

От Richard_D_Levine@raytheon.com
Тема Re: Low Performance for big hospital server ..
Дата
Список pgsql-performance
In my younger days I denormalized a database for performance reasons and
have been paid for it dearly with increased maintenance costs.  Adding
enhanced capabilities and new functionality will render denormalization
worse than useless quickly.  --Rick

                      Frank Wiles

                      <frank@wiles.org>                  To:       Josh Berkus <josh@agliodbs.com>

                      Sent by:                           cc:       pgsql-performance@postgresql.org

                      pgsql-performance-owner@pos        Subject:  Re: [PERFORM] Low Performance for big hospital
server..
                      tgresql.org

                      01/06/2005 12:12 PM

On Thu, 6 Jan 2005 09:06:55 -0800
Josh Berkus <josh@agliodbs.com> wrote:

> I can't tell you how many times I've seen this sort of thing.   And
> the developers always tell me "Well, we denormalized for performance
> reasons ... "

  Now that's rich.  I don't think I've ever seen a database perform
  worse after it was normalized.  In fact, I can't even think of a
  situation where it could!

   Frank Wiles <frank@wiles.org>
   http://www.wiles.org