Re: Running multiple postmaster instances in the same machine

От thomas.revell@powerconv.alstom.com
Тема Re: Running multiple postmaster instances in the same machine
Дата
Список pgsql-admin
>Hi,
>I'm trying to run multiple postmaster instances on the same  machine. I
>want to start and stop the server
>from inside of my application. However, for each of these instances, I
>want to specify a different "storage cluster".
>I understand that I can do that while initializing (initdb -D <path>).
>But after I start multiple instances, how do I let psql
>know which server I'd like to connect to. Since they all run on the same
>port,
Are you sure about that. You can only normally run one server on a given
port.
>whenever I run psql it only connects to the last server for which
>I called initdb on.
The last server you created is almost certainly taking control of the
port, so any connection attempt on that port will go to that server.
>Since psql doesn't take -D <storage directory>,
psql is designed as a client side application. Although in your case it's
being run on the same machine as the database servers, it doesn't have to
be, and so it will not usually have any knowledge of the server machine's
directory structure.
>I'm not sure how I can accomplish this.
Run the servers on different ports. Look for the "port" line in the
postgresql.conf for one of the clusters, uncomment it and set it to a
value other than 5432. Restart the server for that cluster. Then run psql
with the -p option.

>Any help is welcome.
>
>Thanks
>-BG

    >(send "unregister YourEmailAddressHere" to majordomo@postgresql.org)

Hopefully this helps you.

Regards
Thomas Revell

CONFIDENTIALITY : This  e-mail  and  any attachments are confidential and
may be privileged. If  you are not a named recipient, please notify the
sender immediately and do not disclose the contents to another person, use
it for any purpose or store or copy the information in any medium.

От: William Shatner
Сообщение: Automatic database backup on Windows Machine
От: Daniel Rubio
Сообщение: schema sizes