Dump size bigger than pgdata size?

От Nicola Mauri
Тема Dump size bigger than pgdata size?
Дата
Re: Dump size bigger than pgdata size?  (<alex.cotarlan@thomson.com>)
Re: Dump size bigger than pgdata size?  (Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us>)
Список pgsql-admin

[sorry if this was previously asked: list searches seem to be down]

I'm using pg_dump to take a full backup of my database using a compressed format:
     $  pg_dump  -Fc  my_db > /backup/my_db.dmp

It produces a 6 GB file whereas the pgdata uses only 5 GB of disk space:
     $ ls -l /backup
     -rw-r--r--     6592715242   my_db.dmp
     $ du -b /data
     5372269196   /data

How could it be?
As far as I know, dumps should be smaller than filesystem datafile since they do not store indexes, etc.

Database contains about one-hundred-thousands binary images, some of which may be already compressed. So i tried the --compress=0 option but this produces a dump that does not fit on my disk (more than 11 GB).
I'm using postgres 8.1.2 on RHEL4.

So, what can I do to diagnose the problem?
Thanks in advance,

Nicola