Re: install new version of Redhat without deleting /var/lib/pgsql ? Is it enough ?

От Dario
Тема Re: install new version of Redhat without deleting /var/lib/pgsql ? Is it enough ?
Дата
Список pgsql-admin
The new version will update your postgresql packages. It shouldn't wipe your data files, since /etc/init.d/postgresql
scriptchecks if there are data in the specified directory. Then you must erase those postgresql (rpm -qa|grep postgres
willlist packages installed), and install yours.

But, if new subversion is the same (example 7._4_.8 and 7._4_.9 but it's and unchecked and probably not real example),
thescript could run and the engine will run (it won't delete your files).

I would perform a backup anyway.

-----Mensaje original-----
De: pgsql-admin-owner@postgresql.org
[mailto:pgsql-admin-owner@postgresql.org]En nombre de FM
Enviado el: miércoles, 19 de octubre de 2005 12:47
Para: Mailing List Postgres-Admin
Asunto: [ADMIN] install new version of Redhat without deleting
/var/lib/pgsql ? Is it enough ?

Hello erverybody,
I need to install a new version of Redhat on my server.
On the distro, pgsql data are in : /var/lib/pgsql (which is mounted on
its own partition).
Can I "just" install the new version of Redhat, reinstall the same
version of Postgresql (7.4.8) ?
I'll do a pgdump all just in case

Thanks !

               http://www.postgresql.org/docs/faq