Re: join and query planner

От Dario
Тема Re: join and query planner
Дата
Список pgsql-performance
Hi.

> Just out of curiosity, does it do any better with the following?
>
>    SELECT ...

Yes, it does.

But my query could also be
    SELECT ...
     FROM a
     JOIN b ON (a.key = b.key)
     LEFT JOIN c ON (c.key = a.key)
     LEFT JOIN d ON (d.key=a.key)
/*new*/ , e
     WHERE (b.column <= 100)
/*new*/  and (e.key = a.key) and (e.field = 'filter')

because it's constructed by an application. I needed to know if, somehow,
someway, I can "unforce" join order.
The only way to solve it so far is changing application. It must build
something like

    SELECT ...
     FROM b
     JOIN (a JOIN e ON (e.key = a.key)) ON (a.key = b.key)
     LEFT JOIN c ON (c.key = a.key)
     LEFT JOIN d ON (d.key=a.key)
     WHERE (b.column <= 100) and (e.field = 'filter')

Supossed that e.field has (should have) better selectivity. But now this
problem belongs to programmer's group :-)

The query, in fact, has more tables to join. I wonder if lowering geqo
threshold could do the work...

Thank you. Greetings. Long life, little spam and prosperity!