Re: advice on raid controller

От Matt Clark
Тема Re: advice on raid controller
Дата
Re: advice on raid controller  (Palle Girgensohn <girgen@pingpong.net>)
Список pgsql-performance
As others have mentioned, you really ought to get battery-backed cache if
you're doing any volume of writes.  The ability to do safe write-back
caching makes an *insane* difference to write performance.

The site you link to also has that for only 15% more money:
http://uk.azzurri.com/product/product.cgi?productId=80

No experience with the card(s) I'm afraid.

In general though, U320 will only be faster than U160 for large sequential
reads, or when you have silly numbers of disks on a channel (i.e. more than
4/channel).  If you have silly numbers of disks, then RAID5 will probably be
better, if you have 4 disks total then RAID1+0 will probably be better.  In
between it depends on all sorts of other factors.  Bear in mind though that
if you *do* have silly numbers of disks then more channels and more cache
will count for more than anything else, so spend the money on that rather
than latest-and-greatest performance for a single channel.

HTH

Matt