Re: Quickie about Database locations

От Gareth Kirwan
Тема Re: Quickie about Database locations
Дата
Список pgsql-admin
Quick response too:

Shortly after sending the email I tried exactly what I said, with the following alteration:
I put the lines in the .bash_profile first, then initlocation'd then I exited and restarted postgres,
then I su'd back in - and tried the create - and bingo - it worked.

Sorry if I wasted anyone's time :-)

Regards

Gareth Kirwan

-----Original Message-----
From: pgsql-admin-owner@postgresql.org [mailto:pgsql-admin-owner@postgresql.org]On Behalf Of Gareth Kirwan
Sent: 22 October 2002 16:14
To: pgsql-admin@postgresql.org
Subject: [ADMIN] Quickie about Database locations

Hey all!

I'm muddled up about something.
I'm creating a new database, and absolute paths are disallowed.
Therefore I su to postgres ( the owner of the service ) and run the following:

export PGDATA2=/bla/bla/bla
initlocation PGDATA2

initlocation returns fine - telling me to create the database as per usual.
I therefore do:

createdb v2 -D 'PGDATA2'

But I get:

ERROR:  Postmaster environment variable 'PGDATA2' not set
createdb: database creation failed

I echo it - to test it - it works.
I put it in the bash_profile of the user, restart postgres... nothing...

Any ideas?

Thanks everyone

Gareth Kirwan
Programming & Development,