Re: smart copy?

От Joel Burton
Тема Re: smart copy?
Дата
Re: smart copy?
Список pgsql-admin
If you have a table in database A and want to move it to database B (on the
same or different server):

Drop from your table in Db A ("A.TheTable") all columns that should be
automagically filled in on database B. This would be any nextval() columns,
etc. [It's possible that there aren't present at all in the database A
version, but if they are, get rid of them.]

$ pg_dump --attribute-inserts --data-only --table=TheTable A

Will dump the data from A.TheTable, but rather than as a COPY command, it
will dump it as a series of INSERT commands, in the form:

  INSERT INTO TheTable (cola, colb, colc) VALUES (1, 'foo', 'bar');

So that, once you've created the table in database B , you can just pipe
this through psql.

It's slower than running COPY, since you're executing
dozens/hundreds/kajillions of INSERT commands rather than one COPY command.
If that's a problem, you can reduce it a bit by dropping indexes and
triggers on B.TheTable, doing the INSERTs, then re-adding these.

Joel BURTON | joel@joelburton.com | joelburton.com | aim: wjoelburton
Knowledge Management & Technology Consultant