Re: Do Petabyte storage solutions exist?

От Jürgen Cappel
Тема Re: Do Petabyte storage solutions exist?
Дата
Список pgsql-admin
Ingres 6.4 is pretty much history and i'm not even sure if it's
supported by CA any more. Better use 2.5 or 2.6 !  It's offered
for Linux as well.

Regarding performance problems, there are a lot of parameters
to tune an Ingres database. The standard installation out of
the box is never sufficient for a realworld application.
The problem is performance, as you stated quite correctly.
You always have to scale Ingres to your machine's size and
resources, it's preconfigured for a very small machine.

BTW Ingres has quite a remarkable replication system where
you can have multiple master sites where inserts und updates
can happen. They've taken an asynchronous approach that allows sites
or networks to be down for a while without blocking a local
application's transaction. Collision detection it up to you
however, and there is not much help but doing it manually.
i'm currently writing and administering an application with sites
residing in Germany, US, South America, all having write access
and networks being down from time to time. Database size is in a
2-digit Gigabyte range.

Bye.