Re: [GENERAL] Index impact on update?

От Israel Brewster
Тема Re: [GENERAL] Index impact on update?
Дата
Список pgsql-general
On Jan 4, 2017, at 8:08 AM, Paul Ramsey <pramsey@cleverelephant.ca> wrote:

You'd be better off forcing the table to write in bulk with something like

CREATE TABLE mynewtable AS
SELECT *, geography(ST_SetSRID(ST_MakePoint(lng, lat), 4326)) AS geog
FROM myoldtable;

Then index the new table, rename, etc. Bulk update will, in addition to being slow, use 2x the amount of space on disk, as all the old tuples are left behind from the update until you cluster or vacuum full the table.

Thanks for the suggestion, info, and MUCH nicer looking syntax (perhaps more efficient as well?) for populating the column. I'll give it a shot, and see how it goes!

Israel Brewster
Systems Analyst II
Ravn Alaska
5245 Airport Industrial Rd