Re: join over 12 tables takes 3 secs to plan

От Hilmar Lapp
Тема Re: join over 12 tables takes 3 secs to plan
Дата
Список pgsql-performance
On Friday, January 3, 2003, at 09:01  AM, scott.marlowe wrote:

> Have you tried it on firebird for linux?  It's an actively developed
> rdbms
> that's open source too.  If this was developed for it, it might be a
> better fit to use that for now,

Probably it would. But honestly I'm not that keen to install the 3rd
OSS database (in addition to Oracle, MySQL, PostgreSQL), and my
sysadmins probably wouldn't be cheerfully jumping either ...

>  and then learn postgresql under the less
> rigorous schedule of simply porting, not having to get a product out
> the
> door.

Yes, so odd MySQL fit that bill for now ...

> Is an explicit join the answer here?  i.e. will the number of rows we
> get
> from each table in a single query likely to never change?  If so then
> you
> could just make an explicit join and be done with it.

Probably, even though the number of rows will change over time, but not
by magnitudes. It's not an application of ours though, and since we're
a bioinformatics shop, I'm not that eager to spend time hacking a
project management system's query generation code.

Thanks for all the thoughts and comments from you and others though, I
appreciate that.

    -hilmar
Hilmar Lapp                            email: lapp at gnf.org