Re: high load caused by I/O - a hint

От Jeff
Тема Re: high load caused by I/O - a hint
Дата
Список pgsql-performance
On Aug 18, 2004, at 4:18 AM, eleven wrote:

> Hello,
>
> This is not strictly PostgreSQL performance hint, but may be
> helpful to someone with problems like mine.
>
> As I earlier posted, I was experiencing very high load average
> on one of my Linux database servers (IBM eServer 345, SCSI disks on
> LSI Logic controller) caused by I/O bottleneck.

We have some 335's (I think they are 335s) and until April or so there
was a bug in the Fusion MPT driver that would cause it to revert to
async narrow mode if hardware RAID was enabled on it.  (Performance was
horrible - NFS on a 100meg network was 10x faster than local disk!) And
on the upside, when I originally researched the problem they hadn't
found the bug yet so there were no others around having issues like
mine so trying to figure it out was quite difficult.

I may see if using that acpi=ht makes any difference as well.

--
Jeff Trout <jeff@jefftrout.com>
http://www.jefftrout.com/