Is it useful to benchmark MySQL against PostgreSQL? (was RE: Cras h-me of PostgreSQL)

От Riebs, Andy
Тема Is it useful to benchmark MySQL against PostgreSQL? (was RE: Cras h-me of PostgreSQL)
Дата
Список pgsql-general
>  I still not understand what all compare, ... compare full
> dymamic/modular
> PostgreSQL with static features (types, functions ..) in MySQL?
>
>  The MySQL must be always faster - if not - MySQL developers
> are greenhorns -
> but it isn't feasible.
>
>  May be compare availability for some specific usage -- an example web
> application, multi-user assecc vs. locks  ..etc., but some
> common tests
> say nothing.

Every database system has a unique combination of capabilities and
performance. In selecting a database system, the user must answer the
question "Will this product meet my unique set of requirements for my
application?" Those requirements typically include...

o Capabilities
o Purchase price
o Total cost of ownership over time
o Performance
o Capacity
o Scalability
o Reliability
o etc.

As you have observed, it is important to know something about the
application to understand what you will need from the database. Some
database systems will perform well in one type of environment, and totally
fail in another. With osdb, we are trying to provide a tool kit which will
let one answer questions about performance and scalability such as

1. How does database X perform compared to database Y when a single
   application is generating a very high rate of queries?
2. How does X compare to Y when a large number of users are executing
    queries?
3. How does database X on platform A compare to X on platform B?

We started osdb with MySQL and PostgreSQL because they are well-known,
respected, and easy to purchase :), not because we wish to engage in
arguments suggesting that one is better than another.  Over time, we hope to
extend osdb to cover both closed and open source products.

As they say, "your mileage may vary," but we give you a way to generate some
mileage!

/andy

---
Andy Riebs, andy.riebs@compaq.com      Alpha Technology Solutions Group
978-506-6628, fax 978-506-6524         Compaq Computer Corporation
(h) ariebs@earthlink.net               <http://www.linuxalpha.compaq.com>
<http://osdb.sourceforge.net/>