Re: PostgreSQL runs a query much slower than BDE and MySQL

От Scott Lamb
Тема Re: PostgreSQL runs a query much slower than BDE and MySQL
Дата
Список pgsql-performance
On Aug 16, 2006, at 3:51 PM, Tom Lane wrote:
>> /* Select all sheep who's most recent transfer was into the
>> subject flock */
>> SELECT DISTINCT f1.regn_no, f1.transfer_date as date_in
>> FROM SHEEP_FLOCK f1 JOIN
>>     /* The last transfer date for each sheep */
>>     (SELECT f.regn_no, MAX(f.transfer_date) as last_xfer_date
>>     FROM  SHEEP_FLOCK f
>>     GROUP BY f.regn_no) f2
>> ON f1.regn_no = f2.regn_no
>> WHERE f1.flock_no = '1359'
>> AND f1.transfer_date = f2.last_xfer_date
>
> This seems pretty closely related to this recent thread:
> http://archives.postgresql.org/pgsql-performance/2006-08/msg00220.php
> in which the OP is doing a very similar kind of query in almost
> exactly
> the same way.
>
> I can't help thinking that there's probably a better way to phrase
> this
> type of query in SQL, though it's not jumping out at me what that is.

I don't know about better, but I tend to phrase these in a quite
different way that's (hopefully) equivalent:

select    latest.regn_no,
           latest.transfer_date as date_in
from      sheep_flock latest
where     not exists (
           select    'x'
           from      sheep_flock even_later
           where     latest.regn_no = even_later.regn_no
             and     latest.transfer_date < even_later.transfer_date)
   and     latest.flock_no = '1359'

There's no MAX() or DISTINCT here, so maybe this is easier to optimize?

--
Scott Lamb <http://www.slamb.org/>

Сообщение: Re: PostgreSQL runs a query much slower than BDE and MySQL
Сообщение: Re: PostgreSQL runs a query much slower than BDE and MySQL