Re: Recommended optimisations slows down PostgreSQL 8.4

От Waldo Nell
Тема Re: Recommended optimisations slows down PostgreSQL 8.4
Дата
Re: Recommended optimisations slows down PostgreSQL 8.4  (Stephen Frost <sfrost@snowman.net>)
Список pgsql-performance
On 2011-08-12, at 09:32 , Merlin Moncure wrote:

> In my opinion before looking at postgresql.conf you need to make sure
> your queries and their plans are good. fire up pgfouine and see where
> those 60 minutes are gettings spent.   maybe you have a problem query
> that demands optimization.

Thanks for your advice, I am sure to look into what you said.  I might just add some background information.  The
processused to take 266 minutes to complete - which I got down to 49 minutes.  I spent a LOT of time optimising
queries,implementing multithreading to utilise the extra cores and place more load on the DB that way etc.  So that
beingdone as best I can for now, I am focussing on the DB itself.  I am a firm believer the best place to optimise is
firstthe queries / code THEN the hardware / fine tuning the parameters.

The fsync = off was because the production system runs on a uber expensive SAN system with multipathing over Fibre
Channel,it is on UPS and backup generators in a secure datacenter, and we have daily backups we can fall back to.