Re: Help installing PGSQL 7.1 on Linux

От Tielman J de Villiers
Тема Re: Help installing PGSQL 7.1 on Linux
Дата
Список pgsql-general
Hi,
Check the owner + group permissions of ../data -- it has to be owner and
group postgres

Tielman J de Villiers
BondNet Pty Ltd

-----Original Message-----
From: Mayan [mailto:escalante@canada.com]
Sent: Friday, November 09, 2001 3:20 AM
To: pgsql-general@postgresql.org
Subject: [GENERAL] Help installing PGSQL 7.1 on Linux

Following the instruction at the top of the 'INSTALL' file, I have installed
PostgreSQL. However, after creating the 'postgres' user and su[ing] to the
postgres user account, according to the 'INSTALL' file, I have to
initialized the data base, using the following command

'/usr/local/pgsql/bin/initdb -D /usr/local/pgsql/data'

After doing so, I get a message that reads:
"This database will be initialized with user name "postgres".  This user
will own all the data files and must also own the server process.
mkdir: cannot create directory /usr/local/pgsql/data: Permission denied.
initdb failed Removing temp file /tmp/initdb.224."

Using the root account to do the installation, I have tried about three
times to get the installation completed, but I have had the same problem all
three.

Does anyone know what could be happening?

Thanks in advance

=======================================
                    PostgreSQL Installation Instructions

Short Version

./configure
gmake
gmake install
adduser postgres
su - postgres
/usr/local/pgsql/bin/initdb -D /usr/local/pgsql/data  <<== PROBLEM IS HERE
/usr/local/pgsql/bin/postmaster -D /usr/local/pgsql/data >logfile 2>&1 &

/usr/local/pgsql/bin/createdb test
/usr/local/pgsql/bin/psql test