the number of child tables --table partitioning

От Jian Shi
Тема the number of child tables --table partitioning
Дата
Список pgsql-performance

Hey,

  Is there a suggested number of child tables for table partitioning, I ran a stress test on a master

table (with 800 thousand rows), trying to create 500,000 child tables for it, each child table has 2

indexes and 3 constraints (Primary key and foreign key). I wrote a script to do it: after 17 hours,

only 7600 child tables are created.

  The script is still running, I can see that one child tables is created about every minute. The CPU

Usage is 100%. The query speed is really slow now (I set constraint_exclusion=on).

  This stress test is for the partition plan I’m going to make, since we don’t want to add another

Field just for partitioning. So is there something I did wrong? Or postgres cannot handle too many

Child tables? That way I need to come up with a new partition plan.

  The system is 32-bit Linux, dual core, 4G memory. Postgres version is 8.1.21.

Thanks,

John