Re: JDBC 5 million function insert returning Single Transaction Lock Access Exclusive Problem

От Albe Laurenz
Тема Re: JDBC 5 million function insert returning Single Transaction Lock Access Exclusive Problem
Дата
Список pgsql-performance
Eileen wrote:
> I have written some Java code which builds a postgresql function.
That function calls approximately 6
> INSERT statements with a RETURNING clause.  I recreate and re-run the
function about 900,000 times.  I
> use JDBC to execute these functions on postgresql 8.3 on Windows.
When I tried running this on a
> single Connection of Postgresql, it failed (some kind of memory
error).  So I split the JDBC
> connections up into chunks of 5000.  I reran and everything was fine.
It took about 1 hour to execute
> all the updates.
>
> Since it took so long to perform the update, I wanted to prevent other
users from querying the data
> during that time.  So I read about the LOCK command.  It seemed like I
should LOCK all the tables in
> the database with an ACCESS EXCLUSIVE mode.  That would prevent anyone
from getting data while the
> database was making its updates.
>
> Since a LOCK is only valid for 1 transaction, I set autocommit to
FALSE.  I also removed the code
> which chunked up the inserts.  I had read that a single transaction
ought to have better performance
> than committing after each insert, but that was clearly not what ended
up happening in my case.

> In my case, a few problems occurred.  Number 1, the process ran at
least 8 hours and never finished.
> It did not finish because the hard drive was filled up.  After running
a manual vacuum (VACUUM FULL),
> no space was freed up.  I think this has cost me 20 GB of space.  Is
there any way to free this space
> up?  I even dropped the database to no avail.

Try to identify what files use the space.
Look at the size of directories.
Could it be that "archive_mode" is "on" and you ran out of space
for archived WALs?

When you drop a database, all files that belong to the database
are gone.

> Secondly, why did this process take over 8 hours to run?  While
reading the performance mailing list,
> it seems like recommendations are to run lots of INSERTS in a single
commit.  Is 5 million too many?
> Is redefining a function over and over inside a transaction a problem?
Does the RETURNING clause
> present a problem during a single transaction?

It would be interesting to know how the time was spent.
Were the CPUs busy? Were there locks?

Yours,
Laurenz Albe

Сообщение: Re: JDBC 5 million function insert returning Single Transaction Lock Access Exclusive Problem
Сообщение: Re: JDBC 5 million function insert returning Single Transaction Lock Access Exclusive Problem