Re: SSL encryption makes bytea transfer slow

От Albe Laurenz
Тема Re: SSL encryption makes bytea transfer slow
Дата
Список pgsql-performance
Marti Raudsepp wrote:
>> Disabling OpenSSL compression in the source (which
>> is possible since OpenSSL 1.0.0) does not give me any performance
>> improvement.

> If it doesn't give you any performance improvement then you haven't
> disabled compression. Modern CPUs can easily saturate 1 GbitE with
> AES256-encrypted connections. Compression is usually the bottleneck,
> at 20-30 MB/s.

I finally managed to disable compression, and the performance
improvement is dramatic.

Now I have "only" 100% penalty for using SSL, as seen in this
oprofile report:

samples  %        image name               symbol name
751      50.1670  libcrypto.so.1.0.0       /usr/lib64/libcrypto.so.1.0.0
594      39.6794  postgres                 hex_encode
83        5.5444  libc-2.12.so             memcpy

I'll post to hackers and see if I can get this into core.

Yours,
Laurenz Albe