Re: SSL encryption makes bytea transfer slow

От Albe Laurenz
Тема Re: SSL encryption makes bytea transfer slow
Дата
Список pgsql-performance
Heikki Linnakangas wrote:

>>> If it doesn't give you any performance improvement then you haven't
>>> disabled compression. Modern CPUs can easily saturate 1 GbitE with
>>> AES256-encrypted connections. Compression is usually the bottleneck,
>>> at 20-30 MB/s.

>> Hmm, my knowledge of OpenSSL is so little that it is well possible that
>> I did it wrong. I have attached the small patch I used; can you see
>> where I went wrong?

> That only works with OpenSSL 1.0.0 - did you upgrade? I thought you were
> using 0.9.7a earlier.
>
> FWIW, it would be better to test "#ifdef SSL_OP_NO_COMPRESSION"
> directly, rather than the version number.

Yes, I ran these tests with RHEL6 and OpenSSL 1.0.0.

I guess I have hit the wall here.

I can't get oprofile to run on this RHEL6 box, it doesn't record
anything, so all I can test is total query duration.

I tried to disable compression as above, but cannot verify that
I was successful.

I also tried different ciphers, but no matter what I did, the
duration on the server stayed pretty much the same, 4 to 5 times
more than without SSL.

Thanks everybody for the help.

Yours,
Laurenz Albe