Re: default_statistics_target

От Albe Laurenz
Тема Re: default_statistics_target
Дата
Список pgsql-performance
Carlo Stonebanks wrote:
> The whole topic of messing with stats makes my head spin but I am concerned
> about some horridly performing queries that have had bad rows estimates and
> others which always choose seq scans when indexes are available. Reading up
> on how to improve planner estimates, I have seen references to
> default_statistics_target being changed from the default of 10 to 100.
>
> Our DB is large, with thousands of tables, but the core schema has about 100
> tables and the typical row counts are in the millions of rows for the whole
> table. We have been playing endless games with tuning this server - but with
> all of the suggestions, I don't think the issue of changing
> default_statistics_target has ever come up. Realizing that there is a
> performance hit associated with ANALYZE, are there any other downsides to
> increasing this value to 100, and is this a common setting for large DBs?

From PostgreSQL 8.3 to 8.4, the default value for default_statistics_target
has changed from 10 to 100. I would take that as a very strong indication
that 100 is preceived to be a reasonable value by many knowlegdable people.

High values of that parameter are advisable if good performance of
nontrivial queries is the most important thing in your database
(like in a data warehouse) and the cost of ANALYZE is only secondary.

Yours,
Laurenz Albe