Re: Mixing DBLink versions

От David Jantzen
Тема Re: Mixing DBLink versions
Дата
Список pgsql-admin
Thanks for the detailed response.  We'll look at upgrading to 8.3.9 from an RPM.

On Mar 15, 2010, at 6:01 PM, Tom Lane wrote:

> David Jantzen <djantzen@ql2.com> writes:
>> Due to some historical idiosyncracies in our environment, we have a custom 8.3.7 database installation built from
source. We'd like to install dblink into this, however there are some problems with doing so:

>> 1) the 8.3.7 database was built on a CentOS 4 build box that has since gone away
>> 2) currently we have only 8.3.9 code built against CentOS 5
>> 3) the GCC compiler on CentOS 4 was quite old
>> 4) possible API changes in dblink between those versions
>
>> My question, how risky would it be to copy the dblink.so and .sql files from the CentOS 5 compilation of Postgres
8.3.9over to the CentOS 4 compilation of Postgres 8.3.7?  If runtime errors result, how severe would they be?  I.e.,
wouldthey take down a postgres backend or possibly the postmaster daemon?