Re: Hmmm... why does pl/pgsql code parallelise so badly when queries parallelise fine? Anyone else seen this?

От Graeme B. Bell
Тема Re: Hmmm... why does pl/pgsql code parallelise so badly when queries parallelise fine? Anyone else seen this?
Дата
Список pgsql-performance
Hi Merlin,

Long story short - thanks for the reply, but you're not measuring anything about the parallelism of code running in a
pl/pgsqlenvironment here. You're just measuring whether postgres can parallelise entering that environment and get back
out.Don't get me wrong - it's great that this scales well because it affects situations where you have lots of calls to
trivialfunctions.
However it's not the problem I'm talking about. I mean 'real' pl'pgsql functions. e.g. things that you might find in
postgisor similar.

If you re-read my previous email or look at par_psql  (http://parpsql.com) and look at the benchmarks there you'll
maybesee more about what I'm talking about.

To clear up the issue I build a little test harness around your comment below.
If anyone was wondering if it's par_psql itself that causes bad scaling in postgres.
The answer is clearly no. :-)

What I found this evening is that there are several problems here. I did some testing here using a machine with 16
physicalcores and lots of memory/IO.

- Using a table as a source of input rather than a fixed parameter e.g. 'select col1... ' vs. 'select 3'. Please note I
amnot talking about poor performance, I am talking about poor scaling of performance to multicore. There should be no
reasonfor this when read-locks are being taken on the table, and no reason for this when it is combined with e.g. a
bunchof pl/pgsql work in a function. However the impact of this problem is only seen above 8 cores where performance
crashes.

- Using pl/pgsql itself intensively (e.g. anything non-trivial) causes horrifically bad scaling above 2 cores on the
systemsI've tested and performance crashes very hard soon after. This matches what I've seen elsewhere in big projects
andin par_psql's tests.

Of course, it could be some wacky postgresql.conf setting (I doubt it here), so I'd be glad if others could give it a
try.If you're bored, set the time to 5s and run, from testing I can tell you it shouldn't alter the results.

The repo will be up in around 30 minutes time on http://github.com/gbb/ppppt, and I'm going to submit it as a bug to
thepg bugs list.

Graeme.

https://github.com/gbb/par_psql  ]

>> Using it, I'm seeing a problem that I've also seen in other postgres projects involving high degrees of
parallelisationin the last 12 months.

>> Basically:
>>
>> - I have machines here with up to 16 CPU cores and 128GB memory, very fast SSDs and controller etc, carefully
configuredkernel/postgresql.conf for high performance.

>> - Ordinary queries parallelise nearly perfectly (e.g. SELECT some_stuff ...), e.g. almost up to 16x performance
improvement.

>> - Non-DB stuff like GDAL, python etc. parallelise nearly perfectly.
>>
>> - HOWEVER calls to CPU-intensive user-defined pl/pgsql functions (e.g. SELECT myfunction(some_stuff)) do not
parallelisewell, even when they are independently defined functions, or accessing tables in a read-only way. They hit a
limitof 2.5x performance improvement relative to single-CPU performance (pg9.4) and merely 2x performance (pg9.3)
regardlessof how many CPU cores I throw at them. This is about 6 times slower than I'm expecting.

>> I can't see what would be locking. It seems like it's the pl/pgsql environment itself that is somehow locking or
incurringsome huge frictional costs. Whether I use independently defined functions, independent source tables,
independentoutput tables, makes no difference whatsoever, so it doesn't feel 'lock-related'. It also doesn't seem to be
WAL/synchronisationrelated, as the machines I'm using can hit absurdly high pgbench rates, and I'm using unlogged
tablesfor output.