Re: Resolving Index Bloat

От Samuel Stearns
Тема Re: Resolving Index Bloat
Список pgsql-admin

Sam

-----Original Message-----
From: Tom Lane [mailto:tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us]
Sent: Tuesday, 20 November 2012 10:50 AM
To: Samuel Stearns
Cc: pgsql-admin@postgresql.org
Subject: Re: [ADMIN] Resolving Index Bloat

Samuel Stearns <SStearns@internode.com.au> writes:
> We have a problem with index bloat on a couple of our tables even though we have applied more aggressive
autovac/analyzesettings in the schema:

Hard to tell much about this without knowing the baseline condition or what's happened since the baseline.  It looks
likeyour tables have grown circa 2X (eg billingitemrating), but is that due to new data or heavy update activity?

If the baseline condition is freshly-built-or-REINDEXed indexes, a fair amount of "bloat" is to be expected.  The
traditionalrule of thumb about btree indexes is that the steady-state load factor is about two-thirds full.  By
default,PG builds indexes tightly packed --- so just allowing the index to reach steady state will incur 50% "bloat"
on average.  It's usually counterproductive to try to maintain a fill factor better than that, unless the table
receivesonly minimal insert/update traffic.  (Indeed, usually the better policy for a heavy-update table is to create
theindexes with 66% fillfactor to begin
with.)

Your indexes on billingitemrating seem to have expanded a bit more than what would be expected from the combination of
thesefactors, but I'm not sure they're enormously out of line.  You could delve a bit deeper by using
contrib/pgstattupleto measure the actual dead space in both the tables and the indexes.  Also, it'd be useful to know
thedata types of the columns being indexed.